Chinese Visa

China Visa-Free Transit Guide in 2023 | 72-Hour & 144-Hour Transits

For those of you who plan to transit through China, the ever-expanding China Visa-Free Transit, or what is sometimes referred to as the China Transit Visa program, is a welcome opportunity to see the country without the hassle of applying for a full visa. Here’s the most accurate, up-to-date guide for everything you need to know in 2023.

Up until recently, most travelers who wanted to spend any significant portion of time in China had to go through the process of applying for a China Visa. This not only included filling out the application, but also paying the consulate fees, waiting for approval, etc.

It’s time consuming, expensive and, honestly, not fun.

But what if you’re stopping in Beijing for just a few days of your international journey and you want to go see the Great Wall of China?

Perhaps you have a cruise that departs/arrives in Shanghai and you want to wander the city for a few days?

In both cases, the visa-free transit in China is an excellent option.

This is the ultimate guide to China’s visa-free transit, both the 72-hour visa free transit and the 144-hour visa free transit.

As you read, if you find this guide helpful, you’ll greatly benefit from the best-selling Travel to China | Everything You Need to Know Before You Go, my published guide from which this was excerpted.

**Important Note** I will no longer be answering comments on this article asking about specific itineraries.

Also, thanks to ever-evolving Chinese policies, I cannot guarantee that you will be issued a China transit visa.

Transit Visa vs Visa-Free Transit in China

You might hear this referred to as the “China transit visa” across the internet. Technically, it’s called China’s visa-free transit.

A transit visa does exist, called the G visa in China, but you must apply for this at the Chinese consulate before you arrive in China.

Unlike this G visa, entering China under the rules of the visa-free transit happens upon arrival in China. This means that you don’t need to apply before you get on the airplane, which theoretically could save you a good amount of time and money.

However, China’s visa-free transit is notoriously confusing and there are a number of restrictions that you need to understand. It’s good to gather this info before you decide to take advantage of the China transit visa, whether that be the 24-hour transit visa, the 72-hour transit visa or the 144-hour transit visa.

I’m going to do my best here to clear up the confusion by breaking down the steps you need to take.

Check Your Eligibility for the China Transit Visa

Before you read any further, you should start here. I recommend you do is to follow the link below to use a tool developed by the Chinese government to explain eligibility.

Within the tool, you’ll be asked to enter your passport country and your Chinese port of entry.

When you click “search”, it will list out which transit visa is available for you (i.e. 72-hour visa-free transit China, 144-hour visa-free transit China). It also tells you where you are allowed to travel, and where you are allowed to enter/exit.

Which Cities Offer Visa-Free Transit in China?

It’s important to distinguish between two parts of the transit visa: your port of entry and your region of movement.

Ports of Entry

In order to take advantage of visa-free transit in China, you MUST arrive and depart directly through one of the following cities. This usually happens at an airport, but in some cases can be done through a seaport or train station.

  • Beijing, Shanghai*† – 144-hour visa-free by air, sea or train;
  • Tianjin*, Xiamen*, Qingdao* – 144 hour visa-free by air or sea;
  • Qinhuangdao – 144-hour transit visa via sea port only;
  • Guangzhou, Xian, Chongqing, Ningbo, Hangzhou, Nanjing, Shijiazhuang, Dalian, Shenyang, Kunming, Chengdu, Wuhan – 144 hour visa-free via airport only;
  • Harbin, Changsha, Guilin – 72-hour visa-free service;

* Includes entry via a sea port
† Includes entry via train station

These are the air, sea and rail ports that offer China’s visa-free travel as of May 1, 2020.

Region of Movement

Once you’ve entered through one of these ports of entry, visitors taking advantage of the 72-hour or 144-hour transit visa in China must remain within the specified regions for each port that include:

  • Beijing, Tianjin, Hebei (Qinghuangdao, Shijiazhuang): Travelers entering each of these ports here can move freely among these three regions.
  • Shanghai, Jiangsu, Zhejiang: Travelers entering each of these ports may move freely within these provinces.
  • Guangzhou, Chengdu, Xi’an, Kunming, Wuhan, Chongqing, Changsha, Xiamen, Guilin, Harbin, Qingdao: Movement restricted to each of these city’s respective provinces (i.e. entering Chengdu gives you access to travel throughout Sichuan, entering Kunming gives you access to Yunnan, etc.).

It’s entirely possible to travel beyond these regions of movement without being stopped. However, any attempt to stay at a hotel or pass through a security check will result in major fines, imprisonment, or expulsion from the country.

China Visa-Free Map (72- and 144-hour Transit Visa)

From the map above, you can clearly see not only which regions of China offer transit visas but also your region of movement.

Outside of the Beijing and Shanghai areas (which are boxed in), all other regions of movement are restricted to a single province.

IMPORTANT: Before you move on and assume you can take advantage of the China transit visa, make sure you read the rest of this article detailing the remaining restrictions and rules for using this visa.

Finally, if you wish to spend more than 6 days (144 hours) in China or if you want the freedom to move around anywhere you want in the country, you’re better off applying for and getting a traditional China visa.

You can read more about how to apply for a Chinese visa here.

Which Countries & Nationalities Qualify for China Visa-Free Transit?

Not every single country passport is eligible for China’s 72-hour and 144-hour transit visa. There’s a good chance, however, that yours is.

Check below to make sure that your home country is on the list:

  • European countries: Russia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia (FYROM), Albania, Belarus, Monaco.
  • American countries: United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Chile.
  • Asian countries: Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, Qatar.
  • Schengen Agreement countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.
  • Oceania countries: New Zealand and Australia.

If your country is not listed above, you should contact your local Chinese embassy to find out what provisions they have for you in regards to both the 72-hour transit visa and the 144-hour transit visa.

It never hurts to ask!

Rules & Restrictions for China’s Visa-Free Transit

There are a number of important restrictions for China’s transit visas that I’d to point out before you decide to move forward.

I’ve known at least three travelers who have been turned away at the Chinese airport because they didn’t understand the rules & restrictions well enough. Don’t let that be you!

Travelers have been turned away at the Chinese airport because they didn’t understand transit visa rules well.

  • You Must Enter from and Exit to Different Countries: In order to take advantage of any visa-free transit, your original departure and your final destination must be different countries/regions. In other words, you can’t book a round-trip ticket from the U.S. and use the 144-hour transit visa. If you’re coming to China from the U.S., your next destination must be another country. It’s worth noting that Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau count as a “different country/region” in this case.
  • That Includes Layovers! While your ticket’s final destination is important, so are potential layovers. So, for example, if you fly to China from Seoul, South Korea with a ticket that returns to the United States via a layover back in Seoul…you are not eligible for the transit visa. It’s a dumb technicality, but it’s important to know.
  • Your Flight Must Arrive and Depart as an International Direct Flight: In order to be eligible for the transit visa, your arrival flight and departure flights will both have to be international flights. What this means is that if you’re leaving Chengdu after using the 144-hour transit visa there, you can’t have a layover in Beijing, Shanghai or any other Chinese city. It MUST directly be leaving the country. Again, for the purposes of this visa, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau count as a “different country”.
  • You Must Remain within the Restricted Movement Regions: Regions of movement are independently administered, which means that those who have a 144-hour transit visa in Shanghai aren’t permitted to move up into Beijing. You must arrive, move about and depart all within the same region (but you can depart from different ports within the region, i.e. arrive at the Shanghai airport and leave from a cruise port). This is important because this means you can’t see Beijing and Shanghai on the same transit visa trip. Your departing flight MUST leave the country with no layovers within China.
  • You Must Depart Before the Transit Visa Expires: Once you receive your transit visa, you’ll see the exact date written on the temporary visa stating when you need to depart China. For planning purposes, it helps to know that your China transit visa starts at midnight the day after you arrive in China. That means that if your plane arrives at 10am on Wednesday, your 144-hour transit visa clock begins at midnight on Thursday morning.
  • You Can Apply for Extenuating Circumstances: If for some reason you are unable to leave within 72 or 144 hours (i.e. health problems or business meetings), you must apply for a full visa from the nearest Public Security Bureau Entry-Exit Administration Office. Failure to do so will result in big fines (or worse) when you eventually do try to leave the country.

How to Apply for a China Transit Visa (Visa-Free Transit)

Thankfully, the required documents to enter China under their visa-free policy (72/144 hours) aren’t too complicated.

Here’s what you need to know, broken down into three simple steps.

Step 1: Prepare Documents Required for China Visa Free Transit

Before you even step foot on the airplane, train or ship that will be transporting you to China, here’s what you need:

  1. A valid passport: Of course! You’ll have that with you anyway to board your flight/train/ship. Your passport will be required to have at least three (3) months of validity in order to be accepted.
  2. An Entry/Exit Card: You will find this card in the customs area at the Chinese airport. This card will ask you to fill out your nationality, name, flight number, passport number, place of issuance, date of birth, gender, and purpose of visit.
  3. A visa for a third region or country (if required): If your final destination doesn’t require a visa, you can ignore this. Otherwise, you’ll need proof of legal entry into the third country.
  4. A ticket with a confirmed seat number for the next flight that leaves within 144 hours. This is important. They want to know that you are already booked to leave within the required time period. Print this flight confirmation to bring with you.

Remember, if at any point you realize that you’re going to need a traditional China visa for your trip, check out our Complete Guide to Chinese Visas.

Step 2: What to Do at Your Departure City

China has done a horrible job of communicating the specifics of it’s visa-free policy internationally. I’ve known many travelers who have had to fight to board their airplane to China because the airline wasn’t entirely clear about the policy.

For this reason, I recommend printing out something like this news item from Xinhua to explain visa-free entry. Hopefully you won’t need to use it, but you might want to have it just in case.

You can explain to the agent at the airport who is checking for a valid visa that you are taking advantage of China’s visa-free policy and that you have all the necessary documents with you.

Step 3: Arrival at the Chinese Airport / Port / Train Station

Now that you know what documents are required for China’s 72- hour and 144-hour visa-free transit documents, let’s quickly walk through what you’re going to need to do once you arrive in China.

Once you arrive at a port of entry in China, you’ll enter the customs area just like all the other travelers with you. The difference is that within the customs area you’ll be looking for a specific line for those applying for a 72-hour or 144-hour transit visa.

Don’t worry about it too much – you’ll see signs everywhere directing you to the right place. Just keep your eyes open.

Once you’ve been approved (which should only take 5-10 minutes while you’re standing there), they will stick a printed “Temporary Entry Permit” on a blank page of your passport that says where you can stay and when you must leave.

They will stamp this visa with the date you arrived and let you pass through.

That’s really it!

It’s not a super-complicated process once your travels plans have been made. As long as you have all your documents in order and you fit the eligibility requirements, the process is smooth and easy.

If while planning your trip you decide that you would like to spend more than 144 hours in China or visit other places throughout the country, I highly recommend you read through my list of the best China visa services to help you obtain a China visa quickly and easily.

My personal recommendation is Passport Visas Express (and you can get a 10% discount by using this link) and I’ve used them a few times before with great results.

Frequently Asked Questions: Visa-Free Transit China

I receive questions on a daily basis regarding China’s visa-free transit.

While I can’t comment specifically on your itinerary, I will provide some answers to the most common questions I receive.

Can I use China’s visa-free transit multiple times?

Yes, you can. As long as you continue to transit directly from one country to another country, there is no stated limit to the number of times you can receive a visa-free transit pass.

How much does China’s visa free transit cost?

It’s free. Unlike traditional visas to China which require pre-approval and a visa fee, the visa-free transit is issued on arrival and requires no fee.

Can you apply for visa-free transit in China online?

At this point, Shanghai allows for online applications for visa-free entry. However, the website is all in Chinese and it doesn’t seem to speed up the process any more than just arriving at the international port with all your documentation.

Can I arrive by cruise ship and depart from the airport with the visa-free transit exemption in China?

As long as you are entering and exiting from the same region of movement (learn about the available cities and regions of movement), you can enter from one port and depart from another using the China transit visa. Visa-free exemptions are issued at the above listed international airports, sea ports and rail ports.

Can I travel all around China on a transit visa?

No. You must remain within specified region of movement, which in most cases is just the province within which you landed. You must arrive and depart from the same region.

What is the difference between a China transit visa and visa-free transit in China?

China offers a transit visa (G) that requires an application prior to arrival and allows you to leave the airport for short visits during a layover. Visa-free transit, on the other hand, is issued on arrival and allows up to 144-hour to travel around a region of China.

Final Thoughts: China’s Visa-Free Transit (i.e. “Transit Visa”)

China’s visa-free transit is a great option for individuals who desire to visit China without having to apply (and pay!) for an extended visa. The guidelines are (somewhat) straightforward and painless as long as one plans ahead and provides the required documents.

I welcome questions in the comments below, although I warn you that I will no longer be approving and answering questions about specific itineraries.

If you have questions like that, I refer you to your local Chinese consulate or your travel agency. I can’t guarantee that they’ll be willing to help or answer your questions, but such is the confusing nature of China’s visa-free transit policy!

Remember, as you prepare for this trip to China, make sure you have set up a good VPN for China (to avoid the blocking) and that you’ve set your expectations well with the highly-reviewed China travel handbook.

Further Reading & Resources

Josh Summers

Josh is the founder of who has been living in China with his family since 2006. Over that period of time he has traveled by plane, train, car, motorcycle and even camel to explore almost every corner of the country.

View Comments

  • Is the 144 visa different to the 72 in that I can access it in Beijing after flying from Europe even though my flight onwards to Australia will have a stop in Guangzhou on the way?

    • I believe so. You'll want to double check with a visa company or with the Chinese consulate to be sure.

    • I Am arriving in beijing by train from mongolia - will i be able to apply for 144 hour free transit visa at the tRain stAtion ? If yes will the place to apply for it be easy to find?

      • There is a transit visa application center at the train station, so you should be able to as long as you meet all the criteria.

    • It's been announced but I guess it hasn't been implemented yet. I'll update the article. Thanks for the tip!

  • Hi Josh, very helpful post. thanks for it!

    I've got one question, though: what if I want to take advantage of this type of visa (144 hours transit) and I want to make a round trip (same origin and destination country)? Can I just buy a flight ticket to a third country and not use it (only use the reservation for the visa procedure at the airport)? I guess I would be able, because I suppose they are not going to check in the airport (while returning), what type of visa I used.

    • Hey Gontzal, I'm honestly not sure. It sounds like a loophole you could take advantage of, but that would be an expensive one since the dummy reservation would have to be an international flight. It would probably be cheaper just to get a full-fledged China visa in that case.

    • Thanks for your answer, josh. I was thinking to do that because the process to get a visa isn't cheap either, and it requires my fat ass to move to the embassy!

  • Hey Josh,

    Great post - thanks!

    Do you know if it's possible to arrive from a country not of your origin.

    I.e. A Brit arriving in Shanghai from Singapore, with an onward flight to Vietnam for example.

    Note: Sorry for the caps - capslock is off but it looks like a text-transform:uppercase in this text box. :D


    • Great question, Karl. You don't have to arrive from your country of origin. What's important is that your "arrive from" country and "departure to" country are not the same. :)

  • Does Shengen coint as one country? (Ie would arriving from France returning to Germany work?)... i think Its ok but welcome your thouGhts

    Btw... my colleague used Gontzal’s loophole... worked once but the immigRation officer did check the visa type and said his details would be filed and gave him a verbal warNing

    • Interesting. Thanks for sharing, Roland. And yes, arriving from France and returning to Germany should work - it just has to be two different countries.

  • Good information and We would like to take advantage of the 144 hour but not sure if we will qualify:

    We plan to fly to Beijing from Seoul (after spending 3 days in Seoul), spend 4 days in Beijing, then fly from Beijing to Seattle. However the flight to Seattle has a 2-hour layover in seoul.
    Would that qualify for the 144-hr since flight out of Beijing terminates in Seattle?

    • The final destination has to be a different country than the originating destination, regardless of layovers.

    • Hi there @F.Rachel, wondering if you were all ok with your route? I have the same query. London- qatar, spending 4 days in qatar, then onward to shanghai, then back to london, with a 1.5hr layover in qatar. i understand this is ok for the transit visa because i am arriving into china from qatar, and returning to london as my final destination (third country)


    • This might be subjective and up to whomever is checking you in on your flight to China, but having a layover in the country you arrived in China from did NOT work for me. I planned to fly from KUL (Malaysia) to Shanghai, and then Shanghai to Sydney with a layover in KUL. At the check-in (AirAsia), I was not allowed to board the flight with that itinerary and was forced to purchase another ticket that did not involve KUL. These restrictions were coming from the person at the check-in desk's boss, via cell phone, so it was difficult to argue. I also had proof of my Australian visa and confirmation of lodging in Sydney, which I'd hoped would further prove I was not interested in returning to KUL. After I booked the new flight (found a direct one from Shanghai to Sydney), I was allowed to board with no further issues.

      I wasn't sure of the consequences of cancelling that direct flight (thank you Expedia for 24-hour free cancellation on many of your flights!) and taking the original one out of China (similar to the possible loophole mentioned by Gontzal), so I ended up using the direct flight to Sydney just in case. In theory I would think that it shouldn't cause major drama since you're leaving the country, but I couldn't find any specific information about consequences (though certain visa violations can lead to a fine, detainment, or a 5-year ban on entering the country).

  • Yours is the easiest, most straightforward description of how to use these transit visas of all that i've found online. I do an extensive amount of travel for work, but china has not been on my radar before, until now. i am looking to take a flight simply for status and miles, as the deal of a flight i've found pays for itself and then some. to clarify/confirm, if i have a phx.lax.pek.hkg.lax.phx itinerary, i will be able to take advantage of this 144 hour transit visa, because my arrival country immediately preceding china is u.s., and the next immediate destination (3 days later) on the airline itinerary is hong kong. thus, I would departing from pek to hkg before going back to the u.s. according to what i believe to be true from your article, that would qualify - is that correct? would it be beneficial for me to call the airline or immigration in beijing to confirm? thanks! ~Ryan

    • The important thing is that your Hong Kong stop is not just a layover. It needs to be a full ticket in and of itself. Still, I recommend calling immigration just to be sure. It would be terrible to get caught up in a technicality!

  • Hello - here's my question and no, my caps-lock is not on; this text box is doing this...
    I am flying PHX-PEK (layover in Vancouver) and then flying a few days later to Seoul.
    PHX-PEK is on Air Canada
    PEK-ICN (5 days later) is on a different ticket - Asiana.
    I Bought these tickets SEPARATELY AND they are on different itineraries.
    The two airlines are both part of the same Alliance though: Star Alliance
    Does it matter that they are different tickets?
    I have read that the two airlines have to have an "interline" relationship.

    • To the best of my understanding, you do not have to have tickets with related airlines. The only important factor is that the country you arrive from and the country you depart to are different.

    • JC-
      Did you get through on Separate Tickets? I am looking into the same thing and the airline has told me it would be no big deal and they'd let me through.

    • OMG!
      China is so inconsistent and confusing.
      yesterday, I got a visa after buying Uln-Pek (Air China). One-way ticket.
      And, PeK-SYD-BNe (Qantas). One-way ticket.
      Seperate itineraries.
      Not Interline.

Recent Posts

Do VPNs Still Work in China? (even in November 2023?)

Do VPNs still work in China? If you are currently in China, you're probably aware…

4 weeks ago

Best VPNs for China in 2023 (+ my strategy to use them)

What is the best VPN for China in 2023? That's a loaded question that often…

4 weeks ago

List of Websites and Apps Blocked in China for 2023

What websites are blocked in China in 2023 (November Update) This is a question that…

4 weeks ago

Is it Legal to Use a VPN in China in 2023? (surprising answer)

One of the most common questions I receive about VPNs (or "Virtual Private Network") is…

4 weeks ago

Can I Mail in China Visa Application in 2023?

If you're planning to visit China in 2023 and beyond, it's important to know that…

7 months ago

China Visa for US Citizens in 2023 | Information Guide and FAQ

What is the application process of a China visa for US citizens in 2023? So…

8 months ago